Though much of Switzerland has a reputation for snow sports above everything else, it still has a lot to offer in the warmer months. So, as we pass through spring and into the summer here in Champéry, let’s take a look at some of the exciting adventures, mind blowing experiences, and heart pound activities which are waiting for you in the Swiss Alps.
At 1,050m the small working village of Champéry is a popular destination for skiing fanatics, with access to the Portes du Soleil ski area – offering some of the world’s best cross-border skiing between Switzerland and France. The village of Champéry is home to a rather small population of 1300 people but attracts people from all over the world to take advantage of the year-round activities in the area.
Spring in Champéry
Spring sees the temperatures in Champéry rising to the mid-twenties. These warmer temperatures melt the snow and begin to reveal the luscious green meadows and forest surrounding the village. With much of Valais being left to nature, the spring presents some incredible exploration opportunities allowing visitors to discover completely untouched areas on the Alps, along with truly breathtaking views during their travels.
With over 800km of trails to trek around the village of Champéry, a hiking fanatic is spoilt for choice. There is a 40km trekking route named the wild limestone massif, this route takes three-to-four-days to complete and leads you around the Dents du Midi where you can take in the natural wonders that surround you.
For those who enjoy something a little more adrenaline fuelled, the mountains around Champéry have over 300km of marked bike trails. These routes are suitable for all biking abilities, and at this time of year the higher trails are exposed by the melting snow and make for some super long and fun rides!
Champéry is all about freedom, why not go on an adventure of your own and explore the areas around this village. A favourite place to visit is the high plateau of Barme. At 1500m Barme is a great place for a walk with a breathtaking view, the routes around here vary in difficulty allowing the whole family to enjoy the experience.
Though Champéry is most widely known for its mountain-based activities, there is still plenty to do around the village and the local low-lying areas. Local tourist facilities provide access to indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, and even horse-riding centres.
With so much to see and do around Champéry you are truly spoil for choice when it comes to things to do. The Alpine landscape allows you to take part in activities which are unique to this area of the world. Guided experiences give you everything you need to make the very best the activities you and your family choose to take part in. There are also loads of activities that you can enjoy independently. Specialist facilities and venues give you everything you need to have an unforgettable time in this magical region. Whether its equipment, expertly carved trails and routes, or just a pointer in the right direction, taking part in the world renown, highly regarded activities around Champéry are sure to leave you and your family with memories that will last a lifetime.
- Paragliding The Dents du Midi – Get a bird’s eye view of the stunning Dents-du-Midi during a paragliding flight. The local Val-d’Illiez paragliding school provide both tandem paragliding flights and training courses to get your ready for your first solo! During these experiences you will be supported and guided by a licenced professional, so you know you are in safe hands.
- Trott en Stock – Race down the mountains on all-terrain scooters. The Trott en Stock experience is great with friends and family with a range of routes varying in difficulty – but all with great views of Champéry and the Portes du Soleil.
- Bikepark Champéry – The Champéry-Morgins Bikepark is a must-visit for any mountain bike or eBike fanatic! This specialist mountain bike park in the Portes du Soleil has a huge selection of bike tracks, from beginner to world cup level. Including lifts, downhill tracks, loops and shops to rent or repair your mountain bike!
Festivals & Events
Champéry and the slopes around the Portes du Soleil region are full of fun and excitement all year round. With a long list of festivals and events taking place close by to the village why not come and join in the celebrations. With the majority of the major festivals taking place in March, the early spring is the perfect time to come and let your hair down in Champéry. But the festivities continue long into the summer, with plenty of things to keep you entertained and make your time here memorable.
- The Bike & Sound Festival – This unique three-day summer event in the Portes du Soleil merges incredible music with adrenaline fuelled downhill mountain biking. The festival is open to all, even those with no mountain biking experience. It is free to enter, with biking activities and races taking place in the daytime, and live music, concerts and DJs in the evening!
- Morgins Raclette Festival – This two-day cheese festival takes place in the area around Morgins (a short drive or a 40 minute walk). This festival is all about enjoying Raclette cheese. This special cheese has a rich heritage in Switzerland and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways – the very bets of which are showcased at this festival taking place in August. Take in the panoramic views of the Dents du Midi as your taste buds are taken on a journey of their own!